Saturday, February 5, 2011

Grace

So, one of my co-workers brought a book in and told me I should read it. It is called "Gracenomics" by Mike Foster. I thought it was an interesting book, since we try to walk the line of grace and truth at my "office", the Portland Rescue Mission*. I work the graveyard shift, which allows men to sleep there. Anywhere from 50-130ish are there on a nightly basis. The higher numbers are during the months of November to April when we open the chapel for winter shelter. We keep 50 bunks open year round, though.

But I digress. During the night I get to read  as much as I am allowed, with guests coming in and out and making sure to do laundry to hand out clean clothes and blankets. I get to interact with guests coming in throughout the night looking for warmth, socks, food, etc. Sometimes I get to oblige them, sometimes not. But a lot of times I run into the truth/grace wall. I know what we have and don't have, but the question is "am I truly helping or hindering?" "Gracenomics" is basically saying that we need to show grace, more grace, and then some more on top of that. I can't argue with this thought, as I can look back on my life and see the mountains of grace that have been shown to me. First and foremost, the grace of God through Jesus, but also grace from my spouse, parents, etc. It's like the guy in Matthew 18:21-35. We often get consumed by what we are owed instead of our larger debt being forgiven.

I ask myself, can I not forgive those who "don't deserve to be forgiven" by my own judgement? No. Just as I have been shown grace, so do I need to show grace, just as we see in the Lord's Prayer, "forgive us our sins as we have also forgiven our debtors" Matthew 6:12. We are hypocrites if we choose to accept grace given to us but deny those who seek grace from us.

1 John 1:9 states "If we confess our sins, he is faithful and just to forgive our sins and cleanse us from all unrighteousness." Of course, if we repent and confess, grace flows freely. It isn't easy for us to freely give grace. And there are instances where it is easier and instances where it is harder. But my friends, I pray that I, that we, can be imitators of Christ by reflecting the grace we've been given to this broken, ungraceful, hurting world.

Would you join me in living out Grace?

No comments:

Post a Comment