Tuesday, February 8, 2011

"The Catcher in the Rye"

So I finally read "The Catcher in the Rye". I have been told by many males that this was a favorite book of theirs, and since I had not read it, I decided that, by golly, it was time to do so!

My first impression was that this book is a great book for 17-22 year olds males. It marks the tale of young Holden Caulfield and his trying to figure out life. He hates school, phonies, and most other things, aside from his sister, brother, and even his brother that passed away. Throughout the boo, I kept waiting for Holden to have an epoch, a revelation about finishing school and finding passion.

Now, I won't "spoil" it for those who want to read it...you should. It is a classic and even if you aren't a young man, if may help understand a young man in your life.

I think what the book meant to me was that I need to live with a Passion. The one major difference between myself and Mr. Caulfield (aside from him being fictional, of course...and 16), is that I have a relationship with the Living God. Holden has had some "religious" experience, but as I read through, it seemed the purpose he was lacking is one that I have found in Christ and in salvation. Now, there are a plethora of people who have passion, have goals and purpose in life that aren't followers of Christ. What is mean is that I think when I compare where my life was when I was Holden's age, I can see that my faith has given me guidance through seeking a will and purpose that isn't mine (though sometimes it does get in the way..). Further, because I am seeking to have an active faith, a faith that changes my priorities, a faith that is more than just me and my decisions, there is a greater purpose in life than making loads of cash, or just getting through life because I have to do something with it.

E has been taking a class through Solid Rock, "Perspectives". It has been recommended to us on multiple occasions but this is the first time either of us has had the opportunity to participate. Unfortunately for me, I was unavailable on Tuesday nights due to work. I digress...and article that E read for this weeks class was about going on mission. The gist that I got from her explanation was that if nothing is holding us back, we should go abroad. As we talked, and as I was reading "The Catcher in the Rye", I was reminded that we should ultimately be living in a state of readiness to move as the doors are open and God is calling. The call to missions is of course a call on any believers life, whether it is sharing your faith at work, in the community, or in another culture (here or anywhere). The Great Commission tells us to go (Acts 1:8), and if we are seeking to live in God's will it should be obvious when he opens the doors or closes the doors, right?

So, where does this leave us. I don't want you to think that I or anyone expect you to do anything radical like selling house, cars, etc and living on the streets or moving to Bhutan. What I think the response should be is that we need to be living in a state of readiness. Readiness to obey when God speaks, readiness to share with the person in the elevator, readiness to prayer with/for the drunk homeless guy on the spot. We have to let our lives be lived with Passion for the world like God has. He wants ALL to come to him. Are we ready to fulfill the role he has given us and calls us to daily?

I pray that if you read this as a Christian it is inspiring and hopeful. If you aren't a Christian or follower of Christ, and you made it this far, I hope you are challenged to ask questions of me, of the Christians you know.

A favorite quote from Jack Kerouac in "On the Road"
   “The only people for me are the mad ones
, the ones who are mad to live, mad to talk, mad to be saved, desirous of everything at the same time,
 the ones who never yawn or say a commonplace thing, but burn, burn, burn, like fabulous yellow roman candles 
exploding like spiders across the stars and in the middle you see the blue centerlight pop 
and everybody goes "Awww!” 

No comments:

Post a Comment