Thursday, March 17, 2011

Creative Fundraising...

Here is a video about a new Public House opening up in Portland soon. I am sure there will be folks who say PDX doesn't need another Pub as well as those who say another Pub is a great addition to Portland. Either way, this project is very exciting. Fair Warning...the video in total is 15 minutes. If you have 5, watch the first part. You will get the jist.

What excites me about this idea is, what would this look like as a coffee shop, where money goes to charities and or the farmers? I love coffee, as most who know me realize, but what I love more is the idea that coffee can help the farmers more in a Cafe`/roasters hand that see the benefit of a non-profit. I have a buddy who calls this idea a their-profit. Once the main coasts are cared for, the rest go to the farmers adn the community. Not only will this continue to increase the amount of great coffee in PDX, but it also makes a difference. As the dude in the video says, a lot of charities spend copious amounts of time, energy, and money on fundraising. Even in an economic downturn, people still go out for dinner, coffee, etc. With this idea, it makes a difference without having to dip in twice to get what they want and "feel good". Let's be honest, sometimes we give because it feels good. I don't have a problem with people assuaging their egos/self-esteem/guilt by donating money to charity, however great or small their donation. PDX is a hot bed for Pubs, and pubs done well. It is also a hotbed for coffee. What a great opportunity for the folks who "want to make a difference". I put that in quotes, because, honestly, what does that mean? I would argue it means different things to different people. It could be how one spends their time and energy, or how one spends their money, or a host of different things.

Obviously, one would have to create a great product for folks to get behind. It takes a special product and program to get something like this off the ground. I think it could work. If I could get this going it would be something where people came for good coffee, and also had the option to pick a place to donate, whether that is the Farm where the coffee came from or a local organization making a difference here or abroad. I like the idea. But what do you think? Would it work? Wouuld you be compelled to go? Would you purchase coffee from this type of operation online? Let me know what you think!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment